Thank you for your interest in the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation research project! For nearly ten years we have collected
DNA samples and pedigree information from generous volunteers around the world. We have recently reached our original collection goal
of 100,000 participants and we have now transitioned into the next phase of our project. This next phase consists of targeting
specific populations and lineages which are under-represented in the current data, continuing the analysis of samples already
collected, and developing applications for genetic genealogy research.
To fully focus our efforts on these objectives SMGF is changing the way we collect samples. SMGF will no longer collect new samples
directly through our website. Instead, sample collecting will be handled by affiliate organizations, freeing SMGF resources previously
dedicated to sample collecting to support data analysis and innovation. Please click on the links below to learn how to contribute
your DNA to SMGF and other ways you can get involved and support our study.
SMGF is affiliated with GeneTree (www.genetree.com
), another organization that
shares similar goals and objectives. By purchasing a DNA test from GeneTree, you will:
- Receive a personalized DNA report to assist you in your ancestral and genealogical research
- Be able to use this information to access the genetic genealogy applications and tools developed by SMGF
- Have the option to contribute your genetic and genealogical data to SMGF, becoming part of our online database(s) and ongoing
research projects. Additionally, a portion of the DNA test purchase price will be donated to SMGF to support genetic-genealogy research.
If you already have a DNA test report and are not interested in additional testing at this time, you can create a free GeneTree account at
and manually enter your DNA profile to gain access to genetic-genealogy
research applications developed by SMGF, and to search for genetic matches in the SMGF database.
SMGF’s next phase includes focus on research and innovation, with continued analysis of the data we have gathered over the past ten years.
- Our ongoing research efforts, including collaborations with leading scientists from
around the world, will move the basic science of genetic-genealogy forward by increasing the knowledge of recent and ancient human history.
- We are developing user-friendly tools to aid both seasoned genealogists and newcomers to the field of genetic genealogy. These tools
will help interpret personal DNA results in simple and meaningful ways and encourage making connections with genetic cousins and
others who might be researching the same family lines.
- We continue our analysis of the DNA and family histories previously donated to us by generous participants, including Y chromosome
analysis, mtDNA sequencing, and the addition of genealogically relevant autosomal DNA markers.
Thanks to all of our participants for your generous contributions to our research. Those who have already donated DNA and genealogy still
have opportunities to support our project and learn more about your personal genetic ancestry.
- We continue our analysis of the DNA and family histories previously donated to us, including Y chromosome analysis and mtDNA sequencing.
These results are posted to our online databases in an anonymous form. Please register
on our site to be notified of database updates.
- Please be aware that it may take an extended period of time for your data to be posted in the SMGF online databases. As a non-profit
organization the rate at which we test donated samples is limited by our resources. Additionally, we do not always process samples in
the order they were received, but rather according to research needs. Please be assured that all samples are important to us and we
are completing the DNA testing as quickly as our funding and research priorities allow. We appreciate your patience as we continue
the DNA testing process.
- You can purchase your personal SMGF DNA test results at a significantly discounted price of $49.50 through
www.genetree.com. Simply sign up for a free GeneTree account and then place an
order to "unlock" your DNA profile(s). In cases where SMGF has not yet generated DNA test results, an unlock request will expedite this testing.
- If you already have a DNA test report from a previous test, you are welcome to add that profile to your GeneTree account and take advantage
of the extra tools and scientific explanations offered there.
Reaching the 100,000 participants milestone was just one of the objectives of our project. We are still working to enhance our dataset by actively
seeking participants for our database with ancestry from a number of countries and lineages (listed below). If you have genealogical information
linking you to one of these areas or have connections that could facilitate collections in these areas please contact SMGF at .
All Eastern European countries
We appreciate your support throughout all the years we have been in operation and hope that you can find helpful information about your ancestry
through our online resources. We look forward to making new and exciting contributions to the field of genetic genealogy, and we realize that
all of SMGF’s past and future successes are made possible by the generosity of our study participants. Thank you.
If you have questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.